Who likes meat sauce you can stand a spoon up in? What about a sauce with all sorts of extra veggies waiting to enhance the flavor? The answer to both questions, respectively, is ME and YES. If you want the thickest, most flavorful, savory and hearty meat sauce you’ve ever laid your mouth on, proceed and enjoy! This sauce is wonderful on spaghetti squash or “zoodles”.
Yield: 8 servings meaty marinara
Time: 20 minutes prep, 1 hour cook time
- 1-1.5 lbs ground beef (or pork , lamb, or mix if you prefer)
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 12-16 oz mushrooms, sliced (creminis are my favorite)
- One bunch (or bag frozen) spinach, chopped
- 1 jar compliant marinara sauce (I suggest Kirkland)
- 1 can compliant diced tomatoes (suggest Kirkland again)
Begin by browning meat in a large skillet with onion, garlic, peppers, and spices with the stove on medium to medium-high for about 10 minutes until meat is cooked through.
Add mushrooms and spinach to the pan and cook for another five minutes, stirring frequently, to remove some of the moisture from the vegetables.
Add the sauce and tomatoes and reduce the heat to low, covering the pan. Simmer for about 30 minutes to let all those beautiful flavors combine. Fin.